Is polyacrylamide toxic?

Many people subconsciously think that whether it is polyacrylamide or other chemical substances, as long as it is a chemical substance, the product will have some toxicity. But in fact this perception is incorrect. Although most chemical substances are toxic, there are some chemical substances that are not harmful. And is PAM toxic? Polyacrylamide manufacturers come to give you some answers.

Polyacrylamide and its hydrolysate have low toxicity. Most PAM will not irritate the skin. However, some hydrolysates may have residual alkalinity and produce irritation when subjected to repeated long-term exposures. Avoid direct skin contact during handling and use.

Many polyacrylamide products have been approved by the US Environmental Protection Agency and Food and Drug Administration for drinking water treatment, juice clarification and vegetable washing. However, the dose applied is limited. The residual amount of PAM in the polymer should be less than 0.05%.

Polyacrylamide itself is basically non-toxic, because after it enters the human body, most of it is excreted in a short time, and it is rarely absorbed by the digestive tract. Most products will not irritate the skin. Only certain hydrolysates may contain residual alkali, which may cause irritation during repeated and prolonged exposure. The toxicity of PAM comes from residual acrylamide monomer and toxic heavy metals entrained in the production process. Acrylamide is a neurotoxic agent that has a damaging effect on the nervous system. After being poisoned, symptoms such as weakness and movement disorders appear.

Therefore, in general, polyacrylamide itself is not toxic, as long as you pay more attention to it when using it. But even so, polyacrylamide manufacturers still advise everyone to do a good job of their own protection, improve their own safety, and avoid unexpected accidents when using the substance and cause danger. At the same time, you should pay attention to the correct way of using the substance when using the substance, so as to avoid danger caused by incorrect use.